As Many Animals as You Can Imagine

Since writing in the evening in front of the TV leads to copy that reads like a Lost Cat poster, today I am writing this at just before one in the PM. We shall see if this method produces better, more refined and elevated writing. My guess is that it will but I am looking forward to hearing your opinions.

In addition, my posts have been getting kind of whiny and journally and I'd like to go back to the high-literary form and traipse along the wide open spaces of the frontal cortex, scraping random thoughts onto "paper" in hopes of more universally relatable material. Sort of the fevered ramblings of E.L. Doctorow kind of deal.

Last night was a fast-paced smorgasbord of dream material. I wish I could've made notes because there was a lot of good stuff there. By stuff I mean starting points for paintings, sitcoms, novels and novellas and definitely comic books or graphic novels, if you prefer. I'm not a big connoisseur of comic books, as a matter of fact, I peaked on them when I was about 7 or 8 years old. There were some left over at the house on Wint from some early source and I read and re-read them until I could see the panels whenever I closed my eyes.

They mostly consisted of a few Superman, a handful of Classic Comics (notably The Red Badge of Courage, The Man with the X-ray Eyes, 20,00 Thousand Leagues Beneath the Sea, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame), Beetle Bailey... Yeah, I can't come up with any others right now. There couldn't have been more than about 15 books in all. That was all about 57 years ago and so I have missed a lot of the newer Superheroes that have come along since the early 1960's. Still, I feel like I have a solid grounding in the art-form and probably am qualified to toss in my two cents on promising new content.

All that aside, the most memorable dream from a series of dreams, last night, involving dangerously high places, was one mostly in a bright orangish tan color involving a knob-shaped projection on a cliff (get your mind out of the gutter for Chrissakes, it's a common descriptive term) overlooking several tiers of drops into a vast chasm. Very scary place. Anyway, if you went out onto the projection over the chasms and looked down, you would see the same sites that Moses (yes, that Moses) actually, really saw, in person when he was kicking around way back when.

At least that was the implication of the scary high place. Very interesting to me. The altitudinal equivalent of Richard Pryor's "dark alleyway", and like Mr. Pryor, I was disinclined to venture out onto the prominence, even with the prospect of seeing what Moses saw, tempting though it was.

There were other dreams involving high unstable edges with scree-covered slopes trailing off down onto hard, spiky certain-death. I at least pictured myself skidding uncontrollably to my doom in a couple of them but went no further than that. Mother Vander Beek never raised such a foolish son.

Alrighty. I think I've fulfilled today's court-imposed quota for community blogging and I'll leave some for tomorrow.

More later,

Comments

Popular Posts