Another day, another blog.

In order to add order to life I've created another blog to list my pieces of art. That way I can keep track of all of them and if someone is interested in them, I have someplace to direct them that shows what I've done. It's a little like a portfolio. It's also a place I can go remind myself of what I've done.

I recently closed my play site, somebodyowesmeanapology.com, so the new site, theartofjackvanderbeek.wordpress.com represents a net site gain of zero. I don't suppose I'll do any better at keeping them all up to date than I did before. But that's not the point.

So far it's a free site through wordpress.com but if it turns out well I might upgrade it to the low priced plan from wordpress. There are limitations in the plugins I can add to the free site that I would like to get past. We'll see.

The painting and art in general is going pretty well. It is very much the Dutch Roll. Every day I feel encouraged and happy is followed by one that I am frustrated and depressed. I need to keep reminding myself of that fact.

In order to move the art ahead, I'm trying to find the mental angle for it instead of the physical memory for painting. I'm trying to see the colors and all the values. I'm trying to stay open to trying new things in order to get the effect I'm looking for. For example, the past couple days I've been using a Sharpie with Crayola markers and acrylic paints. I'm pleased with the effect. I tried painting flowers with oils and acrylics and watercolors and the best I've done was with a combination of the colors with a black Sharpie. It doesn't matter if it feels like cheating, it all has to do with making the effect.

I'm still not a hand with the impressionist style. Maybe after a hundred more tries.

Ashton and I went to Michael's yesterday (Sunday) and I got a new H-frame floor easel and another marked down pack of 16x20 canvases. She got some face paints and a drawing pad and some markers. We ran a couple errands and picked up her medicine and bought Taco Bell. It was a good time.

That's enough for now.

More later,





Comments

Popular Posts