Ring-a-Ding-Ding



I'm glad that night's over as it was not that much fun. The dogs decided to call an emergency drill at about 0100, It may have been about 30 minutes before that, but by the time I'd found my glasses and Smudge's button, Ben had gone in to tell them to be quiet. It still took a while to fall back to sleep and set the tone for the rest of the night. 

Tried to sleep-in a bit but no sleep came, so got up at 0800 and got on with it. Ashton and I are going to the DMV to get her learner's permit today. Pretty soon now, as soon as she gets some stuff done and gets ready. I'm not looking forward to sitting around there and waiting. I hope we can run by Costco when we finish and get the groceries.

I need to spend some time going through some of my older Rising-Gorge Pieces and editing them for the issues that I've been alerted to. I need to read the example story very carefully to see what's different in the way it's told. Focusing on action and getting out of the narrator's head. Why is that such a difficult concept for me to understand? 

This is one of those points in the process where I don't have a clear view of what it is I'm trying to accomplish, but I'm sure I'll do it. Sometimes I'm stalled here for long periods of time, but I always make it through. I'm confident of that.

There's some very fresh air coming in through my open window right now. Smells great. There must have been some wind out there last night. Brought something new from somewhere else.

Time to get moving here. Let's see, if I get some of the reading done that I'm thinking about then I might have time today to go back through some of those pieces to fix them or at least figure out what the problem is. Who knows, maybe I'll have to take a real course in writing or find some online resources to explain the writing process. I thought I was doing better. I guess that shows how far off I am. I will go looking for a resource as soon as I finish up this warm-up. 

I also have to remember to move forward on the DMV deal with Ashton. She's counting on that and I don't want to let her down. I also guess I need to figure something out for dinner, Sue seemed disappointed yesterday to get home and find us all doing everything except making dinner for her. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

The idea of doing the warm-up and the Rising-Gorge piece every day needs to be shelved until I find out what I'm doing wrong so that I can start doing it right. I will continue to do this warm-up every day because it helps my hands a lot and also my thinking, but I' skip trying to be creative for now until I work so more things out.

It makes more sense that continuing to write the wrong stuff. I will also do a search for instances of the words "just" and "really" and eliminate them. 

Just had a call from the producer of the public radio show "Way with Words", Stephanie, checking in with me to see if we're still on for tomorrow morning. She said that the engineer, Tim, will call first to check things out and give me the pre-fight instructions before I speak to Martha and Grant. The whole thing is pre-recorded and should be fun. I'm looking forward to it. 

I better clean this up and move on.

More later,




Comments

Popular Posts