Square Red Cards



Let's get this started and try to do a little better on it than yesterday, alright? I had a much better night's sleep last night, I was still up every hour or two but I got back to sleep quickly each time and that's plenty good for me. My hands didn't hurt either. When you wake up often, many times, it's only the little ache or pain that catches your attention while you're trying to get back to sleep and that's the problem. At least sometimes. But last night, each time I turned over, off I went.

The dreams were more pleasant as well. One of them. the last solid dream I had, took place in a crowd, the way so many do. I was in a crowd going somewhere, and as we surged through a large room, I split off to the side and decided there was a chance I could get my clothes into the washer while everyone else was pressing for the door. I might leave a little later, but there would be less of a crowd holding me back and I would have taken care of one of my chores. I don't know the real reasoning for this, but I just got up and threw my clothes into the washer after writing that last sentence. Therefore, it must have been important.

I'm trying to reconstruct the dream now and I remember jumping into a vehicle and driving. I was heading for an interstate type of road and I remember a cloverleaf on-ramp that I took clockwise. There was also some concern with clothing, clothing for an event of some kind. It was nice clothing. Something like a large TV show or movie scene. Clothes were being issued and approved by somebody, and that's where the matter of the square red cards came in.

The cards were maybe 3.5" square and were issued blank, but you could write anything, absolutely anything on the card once you had it and that would entitle you to special consideration. I'm guessing you got what was on the card. What you wrote was your decision. There were a number of the cards around, they stood out clearly when you looked over the crowd. I have to say there was a lot of other paperwork as well, all being held out for inspection, but the red cards stood out in contrast.

I ended up with a red card and that's how I know it was blank, I looked at both sides because I wasn't sure about the meaning of the entire scene. Nothing was written on it and I had nothing to write with, so I held onto it in case it came in handy later. I woke up after that several times but was able, each time, to close my eyes and re-enter the crowd to look around. As I said, it was nice and not at all dangerous feeling.

There were some other parts having to do with the car or cars I was around. Strange that they are never a car that I own now. Always a car from the past or something I saw somewhere else.

I just had a moment to think and it's very strange where I went. I thought about something that happened in the not too distant past and how, when I look at the person's behavior now, I interpret it in an entirely different way. Other people's behavior is a black box to me. I take them at face value always and so it depends on how skillful they are at pushing a part forward. I would be an easy target for a con person. It really makes me wonder about my own abilities when it comes to social interactions.

Well, it's not news that I'm not a wizard at sociality. The whole thing puzzles me. It would be helpful if people came with subtitles that explain their meanings and motivation. It's is blessing that I have so little that anyone else wants.

I started thinking about another story yesterday. Actually, it was an idea I had earlier this year that I'd made a note of in Vanderspacebeek. I'm calling it "Locked Out" and it has to do with a guy in a coma who gradually becoming conscious. Basically, it's a whodunit played out entirely in a guy's mind who's Locked In, get it. I'm thinking the way to do it is to outline the whole thing first in Scrivener so that I have all of the points to touch on and then just flesh it out. The story lends itself to that kind of preparation and God knows I need to learn an orderly way of writing. Even though the other way is more fun, an outlined method would undoubtedly yield a better story from a reading standpoint.

So, after I work on the Rising Gorge piece I'll go back to work on the outline. That's all I have for now. Onward and sideways.

More later,


Comments

Popular Posts