A Sprinkling of Conceited Genius

Failed miserably on my part to paint yesterday. This will not stand and I vow to correct the situation today. I will paint, so help me God, I will paint.

Now I only need to decide what to paint. I should line a few things up. I've decided that I need to paint two or more paintings at a time, at least at this point, because it takes more time and energy to set up and clean up from the painting than it does to paint. If I'm going to make a mess I might as well get some good practice out of it. I will use one or two canvases and the rest will be Mix Media Paper.

Weirdo dreams poured forth in abundance last night. I don't know where to begin in describing some of them. I don't know where to begin because right now i can't remember a single one of them. But take my word for it, they were weird. Not in a worrying sort of way, but weird nonetheless.

Ashton is home with me today, apparently she doesn't have school today. I don't keep very close tabs on her school stuff. Obviously!

I was just reminded of the first time I looked up at the moon to see the face of the man in the moon. I'd seen the image of the moon's face many times in the cartoons which I watched constantly as a child. Cartoons made up my world and formed my basis of understanding for the world. That seems weird now but they were so accessible to me. By cartoons, I include things like The Three Stooges and all comic shorts. Anyway it was probably early evening, but late enough to be getting a little dark and I was standing in the alley behind our house on Wint avenue- the center of the universe. I looked up at a full moon and saw the irregular shapes of the slightly darker patches on it. I could make out its uneven surface. I'd practiced that moment many times before by looking closely at the round yolk of a hard-boiled egg. Peeling boiled eggs to reveal a perfect yellow sphere was another wonderful trick that once I was shown, I practiced over and over. Anyway, I stared at the moon and struggled to pick out the eyes and the mouth opened in a perpetual surprise. Gradually it came into focus and the longer I looked, the clearer the face became. I wondered at it. Who had taken the time to carve a human face into that distance circle? It could not be a coincidence, could it?

I've looked at the moon many times since then and I've never seen the face again with such clarity. That part of my mind faded as I grew older. With my "understanding" of the world, the ability to see the possibilities in it faded away. I miss that.

I'm going to keep this short so I can move on to painting. I'm not totally sure what I should work on today, but I think apples and painting without sketching. I shall need some fortification from a Trujillo video.

Andale'

More later,



Comments

Popular Posts