A trick of the light.

I did two watercolor paintings today and they took a while. Once again, it was choosing the pictures that took the most time. Maybe I'm just being too picky about choosing the right pictures.

I realized that once I choose the right picture, I then do a practice drawing to work out the way I must draw the picture. Then I have to draw the sketch again on the watercolor paper in pencil and improve on the first drawing wherever I can. After that drawing is finished, I go over the lines with a fine point Sharpie. I've been adding cross-hatching which is probably a mistake. I think I should lighten up on the details drawn in ink. When I get the paint on it looks a little too busy. Then next watercolor I do I'll leave the shading out and cut some of the detail. The picture will look better with a fewer lines. I should let the paint carry the load.

On top of that, I should try a couple simple pictures that are just watercolor and no lines. I end up making them look like cartoons.

I was very happy with the paintings as I did them and it wasn't until I took the pictures and posted them that I became unhappy with the results. It seems to be a pattern.

Tomorrow I paint with acrylics again. I'm looking forward to that.

More later,



Comments

Popular Posts