Top Heavy Thinking



Bad night for sleeping. We can all agree on that. Sue's on call tonight starting at 5P so I hope she doesn't have a long night. It's not worth it. I'm not feeling any more shut in for the writing thing and that needs to change. We're coming up on two weeks and that's not helpful. I was really enjoying being productive in stories. There's no reason I can't keep that up for longer. Every story I finished one it made me a better writer. Not writing has the opposite effect.

The phrase "I think" needs to be expunged from my writing. It is a lazy phrase and I lean on it to avoid standing up. It needs to go with the others. I use those phrases here, I tell myself, because this is warm-up, I can use it and the J word for warm-up because it doesn't count. Warm-up is exactly the place where I shouldn't use them. Using them here smooths them over in my mind so I don't see them other places.

Drop the introductory phrases that I love and love me. Re-form and reform my writing mind to abandon those easy and cheap time fillers that I've used my whole life. Abandon them and move forward. Stand up when I write. Stop hiding my thoughts behind slick phrasing that I stole from the people who I thought sounded smart. We all know I can sound smart but what about thinking as a write. That would be smart, right?

So I'm warming up, let's warm up with some truthful words and phrases. I'm leaning my palm on the corner of the keyboard and that's where the control key is. I do this more or it is more noticeable when I type the T key. Control T opens a new tab on chrome and likely on all the other browsers and that is as annoying to me as hitting the caps-lock without intending to or by mistake.

It is now time for the FIVE PLOT drill. So sans ado.

  1. A man gets cursed one day and can hear others thoughts.
  2. A man wakes up one day and can feel the pain of others.
  3. A man loses his imagination.
  4. A man cannot tell the difference between being awake and asleep.
  5. A man develops Cotard's syndrome and believes that  he is dead.
Now those five ideas took a long time to come out. I didn't time them but I know that the first three took the most time. I am trying very hard not to cheat. I don't want to put down ideas that I could not write in a short story. I'm not using ideas like: a man go to sleep in Kansas and wakes up speaking Chinese in New Guinea. I wouldn't know where to begin or how to write that. I don't speak any other languages and haven't traveled so it would take me longer to research and figure out  how to write it than it would to write it.

I am warmed up now and can go about the intricate business of avoiding writing. I feel the need to read a manual on the tractor or clean my pencil tray. If I don't finish the piece and come up with some kind of twist for it I will not rest. That is a lie. I don't know if I will sleep well again anyway. 


More later,

Therefore
So wanyway
for some reason
really (all adverbs)
I think
at least

Comments

Popular Posts