You can't always tell when you win.



I'm not even sure that "Win" is a real concept anymore. The older I get, the less clear things are, in every possible metric. 

So I got up today and Sue said we should look at new mattresses sometime and that triggered me, because a couple months ago I spent a few days looking at mattresses online. I went to the review sites and all the big mattress stores and I figured that given enough study time, I'd arrive at a conclusion about which mattress would be the best one to buy. You see, I knew that the subject would come up in the not too distant future because our bed was about 25 years old and pretty worn out.

It had that look of the mattress in Norman Bates' mother's bedroom. Well, that's not quite true. Our mattress was a little more broken down on the sides because that's where I sit to dress.

So I figured I'd get out ahead of the subject by doing all the research before hand then I'd pull it out and presto, instant informed decision. It didn't turn out to be that way. After I spent a couple days researching mattresses, I came to the conclusion that the reviews don't matter that much. It would always come down to going to the mattress stores and trying out the mattresses and making a decision based on how they felt.

The only solid research needed was to pick a brand with a good reputation and so the obvious brand choice was the one we just tried out for 25 years. So we pretty much stuck to the Simmons Beautyrest brand.

Mattresses have changed a good deal in the past quarter century so we got a quick education while we went from mattress to mattress and and eventually we landed on the one we agreed felt the best.

Then we chose the height we preferred and discussed frames and the deal was done. It will be delivered this Saturday.

We'll have some powerful vacuuming to do when it gets here. We haven't been under that bed for that long. We'll need to pull the stuff out from under it and take it to the shop. Then when they carry out the box springs, we'll quickly vacuum the shit out of the exposed carpet and a the counter will reset for another couple decades.

This is the way things get done nowadays.

More later,

Comments

Popular Posts