Landromat Nirvana



It's Saturday and I'm late just because I let my routine stagger a bit. I was pleased that I finished my story about the road trip last evening while I watched a movie. It may have suffered from divided attention and it certainly wasn't written as quickly as I would have if that were all I'd been doing, But I think it went well and I don't think it sounded as though you were hearing it from a distracted narrator. Maybe in a couple places.

I heard back that it seemed a bit simple in its conclusion so I thought maybe today I would tackle something a little toughter.

In addition, last evening I bought the Aaron Sorkin Masterclass on screenwriting and just watched the introduction and first class a few wminutes ago. I understand it. I haven't heard a great deal new in the first class, but I still think it's worth it becasue he's talking about the simplified version here. The first class is intention and obstacle. He hammers it home and gives concrete examples. I need those. I'm not an abstract thinker, but once I catch hold of a concept I usually own it for the rest of my life. There my versions of the tattoos that most everyone else seems to think mean so much.

Gradually, little by little, I'm understanding the concepts of writing fiction and most of all how it's different from journalism or professional writing or reporting. Which, face it, is what I've been doing all my life. Once I get this down I need to really grasp the fun parts of it and use those to make this work. I don't think I'm going to be famous for it but I'd like to write some stories that have a life of their own. Stories that can take the reader along inside the story for a ride.

I think that'll do for the warm up. Let's get going.

More later,




Comments

Popular Posts