Face the Day



Friday morning. The day after my birthday. I have some cleaning up to do here after the celebration here yesterday. The last of the guests are only now leaving. The scene is of a great battle having taken place. The tents covering the field in front of the main house, some of the tents only partially standing. Some goats and dogs picking through the piles of rubbish and half eaten food. The denuded skeleton of an ox is hanging from an iron spit in the front yard and the ashen remnants of almost six cords of hardwood are still glowing in the morning mist. The smell of wood smoke everywhere.

Boy howdy! What a picture! I'm glad it's not true. Imagine the mess that would go with all that. The empty barrels, the troughs with cole slaw and baked beans, almost emptied and crows and seagulls nosing through them. Not to mention, the Solo cups and paper napkins all over the ground.

It makes me happy we had a simple pork chop dinner.

It was a very good Birthday for me, though. It was kind of a Thanksgiving Birthday where I took a moment to look back over my life and where I am now. It' s good to be reflective once in a while. Life gets busy with lots of nothing sometimes. Hardly anyone with a simple life realizes it. Even a simple life contains much. I consider my life simple, but it keeps me busy.

It's interesting that some days this blog fills so slowly that it feels as though I'm writing it with my blood. I guess it's like that every day. Although, some days it feels arterial. The page fills quickly, dangerously so. Other times, it's a trickle or a drip.

If this seems fragmented, it's because it is broken up by me getting up to do things. That's a joke. That's what fragmented means. So I hope to get good writing in today. There's little reason that I shouldn't finish and begin the editing process. Although, I must remind myself not to rush. It is always a mistake I regret.

It's important to remember there are no new story elements, it is all in how they are written that makes the difference. I must practice moving when I must and standing to fight where it is necessary to bring out the story in the best way.

It's all about how it is written.

More later,

Comments

Popular Posts