What are Trains For?



This has been the subject of my thoughts for the past several days. I thought I had a path through the current story but when I started the writing I realized that it was another pointless direction. While I try to turn myself loose again, I keep running into things that say you must know the goal before you can write an interesting or good story.

My ideas for stories tend to involve something either psychological or unexplained and they pop up when nothing else does.

I laid in bed most of the night just trying things out on the train and starting over and over again to come up with anything that might work and be worthwhile. This morning I lay in bed and pictured the train car and what might happen there. I figured if I could picture an end scene then I could write a bridge to it. It seemed every time I almost had a scene I'd start over.

Truthfully I probably never had a scene any of those times. I was probably just drifting off to sleep or my mind was wandering. In the meantime, nothing was happening in the story and doesn't have much chance either.

When you beat a line of thought for that long, it no longer resembles anything. In other words, I'm not sure I'd recognize a good idea anymore if it was caught between my front teeth.

It's time to pay up and just write. It will lead somewhere, it always does. I cannot wait for the inspiration to fill my soul. All that not writing is the opposite of what I wanted to do.

More later,

Comments

Popular Posts