In Progress



It's a sunny beautiful morning out there and life surges forth all around us. I'm still wearing my scratched glasses because they work best but they are driving me a little nuts. It might be a good chance to practice my mindfulness stuff. Except in this case, the glasses are happening to me in the present. So I'll just have to focus farther ahead of me while I work.

I'm still a little bumfuzzled by where the story will go at the end. It has the bones to stretch out into the distance. The mob shows up and pushes on Koppel to find out where the money is. Maybe they brace Gene to get back the original amount. On the other hand, maybe they just show up and say goodbye to Joel. They tell Gene the story of Joel and he understands a little more about the guy that he hated and thought he knew.

I still haven't covered Joel's back story as far as, what he did for a living. It has to be honest work, every day, turn up where everyone could see him. No hiding. The mob knew where he was every day. At first, I was considering shoe repair, lock smith, appliance repair. He needs a more solitary work. He was not a people person. Looking from his point of view, he'd been pretty much fucked over by life. His own brother had taken him on a robbery when he was 14 and got him put away.

Joel hadn't had a chance to grow up in any good way. What happened to his parents? Why hadn't they stepped in and helped his brother Stan anyway. I would have to say that his father, Joel's father had left when the depression hit. Joel was born in 1929, the beginning of the depression. His mother was left alone with the two boys and did what she could to keep them all together. Joels' father was named Isadore Probert but everyone called him Izzie. He worked ...

I've suddenly got a direction to go. He worked for the Purple Gang in 1920's Detroit running bootleg Canadian liquor to Detroit and the Chicago mob.

That's how he was killed, leaving his family to struggle on their own. Joel was born the year Izzie was killed. Stan, Joel's brother was 4 years older than him. Their mother was Mindel "Minnie" she was born in 1907 and died in 1944 at the age of 37. The year Joel went to prison. He blamed himself for that and Stan's death. Stan was holding up the pawn shop for money to help his mom and brother.

Off we go, Oswego!

More later,



Comments

Popular Posts